Special Effects Experiments

Light Special Effects Experimentations 

Image 1 : For this piece I created a mould out of silicone to fit the arm of the model, I then used alcohol based makeup by Kryolan to add a mix of shades using a speckling technique. This technique is used in the industry to much the colour to the model perfectly and give a blended mixture of colours to act more like skin. 


This gruesome  and infected cut is created by moulding a small amount of wax onto the models arm, I then added silicone on in layers to prevent the wax from staying sticky. I then built up colour using supra colour and added kryolan products; scratch and puss. 

TOP TIP : Use a stipple sponge (or a course sponge with holes in it) to create scratch marks on the skin, roughly drag the sponge along the skin with a red coloured makeup   



Here is a close up of the infected design, you can see the added puss products which gives the finish a shine, the scratch marks also look effective surrounding the opening of the wound. 


This design is a quick way to create a small bloody cut; I used Kryolan syn wax to build a small opening for the blood, I then filled in the cut with thick blood also by Kryolan, (you will notice most of the special effects products I use are Kryolan, this is because the products never fail me, they are highly pigmented and realistic in texture, ideal for TV and film special effects make-up).  


Burn mark; These are hard to create as the texture of the products used here are unforgiving and if a mistake is made usually the while design needs to start over. First I used a barrier cream on the models arm to protect her skin and also make it easier to remove. I used layers of silicone on the skin to build a rough and shiny texture. I the built on colour using supra colour - kryolan. Add tones of purple and yellow to give a really infected skin tone.  

TOP TIP : stretch the skin on the section you want to ever in silicone, then dab o the liquid in small amounts, once it has dried, un-stretch the skin and watch the wrinkles form, great for adding age to a character. 


Black eye experimentations; for both designs I used Kryolan supra colour, this is an oily substance, great for blending and mixing colours on the skin. I looked at real black eyes and studied how they form. A fresh black eye will go bright red and then form a dark black/purple bruise, notice on the cheek bone the colour os much more yellow; this is to show where the hit happened. 


To create a more subtle black eye, one that may have aged and is recovering, I used supra colour kryolan with mac eye shadow in matte tones. I wanted to create a more yellowing soft tone that gradually gets darker as it spreads onto softer parts of the face.  








For this design I was creating a character to go in a film, she was a witch who bared scratches down both sides pf her face. To create realistic scratches I used a special effects product by Kryolan called Tuplast; this is a thick substance that when coloured correctly will create thick scars. I also used spirit gum in layers to build a realistic looking scar on the cheek bone. This went well and I was pleased with the outcome of my experimentations. 




Comments

Popular Posts